Administration Officer (AO)
STRATEGIC INITIATIVE FOR WOMEN IN THE HORN OF AFRICA (SIHA)
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: TERMS OF REFERENCE
ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (AO) (FULL TIME)
DURATION: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR A PERIOD OF ONE YEAR WITH POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION
NB: CONTRACT PERIOD INCLUDES MANDATORY THREE MONTH PROBATIONARY PERIOD FROM START DATE
Background and Context:
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Somaliland and Uganda. Founded in 1995, the organization advocates for social change and gender equality in the Horn region and works specifically on protecting women’s human rights, promoting women’s access to justice, supporting economic empowerment and activating women’s political participation. SIHA’s Secretariat/HQ is located in Kampala, Uganda, and SIHA maintains field offices throughout the region.
The ADMINISTRATION OFFICER (AO) who will be reporting to the Human Resource Officer (HRO), will carry out the core of SIHA’s administrative duties. In the course of this work, the AO will receive mentoring in methods for sustaining a dynamic organization, while providing support as requested to other SIHA staff.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
· Work closely with all staff members when asked/required under direct supervision of the Human Resource Officer;
· Consolidate the donors data base through desk research and information gathering and taking minutes of meetings;
· Collect background information and conduct desk research to facilitate the development of proposals/concept notes;
· Assisting the communication officer in drafting of the monthly newsletter;
· Working closely with the communication officer in updating of SIHA website;
· Ongoing updating of SIHA contacts;
· Carry out a media review on what is happening in and around Uganda on a weekly basis;
· Work closely with the communication officer on updating of the member’s database and membership applications;
· Carry out external office work and liaise with service provider’s i.e post office, car maintenance, MTN, Orange Uganda, UTL Uganda, pay utility bills etc;
· Monitor office maintenance of equipment and ensure supplies are purchased on time working closely with the finance team in handling the logistics and movement of petty cash;
· Overlook the welfare of the office property as well as day to day activities;
- Filing of documents in soft and hard copy, dealing with service agencies, office maintenance and reception duties, answering phones and delivering and checking mail box;
- Assist in organizing SIHA meetings and workshops inside and outside the office;
- Manage SIHA staff files, holiday forms and evaluation forms;
- Handling travel arrangements tickets and hotel and taxi bookings.
The candidate must have demonstrated experience in the field of administration, commitment to women’s rights and gender equality is essential, as is a strong sense of initiative, ability to learn rapidly, and flexibility in times of increased workload, deadlines, etc.
- Strong academic background in the fields of social sciences, international development, gender studies and/or human rights;
- A good understanding of the political and human rights dynamics in the Horn of Africa;
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in administration;
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with civil society organizations;
- Good analysis and writing skills;
- Excellent command of English and excellent communication skills.
- Proven organizational skills, including the ability to manage priorities, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work independently;
- Willingness to work extra hours when workloads are at peak.
HOW TO APPLY:
SIHA is committed to offer a fair remuneration based on qualifications and experience. Preference will be given to Ugandan nationals.
Please send your C.V., contact details for three professional references, application letter, to email@example.com .
Please enter ‘AO APPLICATION - NAME’ in the subject field. Due to the volume of applications SIHA receives, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Deadline for submission is 25th of February 2017 at 1:00 pm. Thanks kindly for your interest in SIHA.