Website The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA)
SIHA is a feminist regional network of civil society organizations spanning Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Uganda.
|Duration:||Six Months with the possibility of an extension|
|Working hours:||35 Hours Per Week|
|Reporting lines:||The consultant will report to the SIHA Regional Program Manager (in her absence, the consultant will report to the SIHA Regional Director)|
Overview of the Role
The Technical Program Advisor will work closely with the Somali SIHA Staff to strengthen their capacity in project management and reporting in close collaboration with all Regional Secretariat staff, including the Regional Projects Coordinators, the MEAL officer, Advocacy and Communications Coordinator, Regional Finance, and Regional Human Resource leads.
SIHA Somalia and Somaliland offices are responsible for coordinating and implementing SIHA programming and are critical offices for the continued success of SIHA programs and the impact of our work across the region. Both offices continue to experience challenges with staff capacity, creating the need to focus efforts on building a coherent and collaborative team. The project staff in both country offices are passionate about their work and demonstrate positive leadership skills. The consultant will be tasked with building on these skills and enabling the project staff in both countries to establish a motivated and effective team. To achieve this, the consultant will be responsible for strengthening the capacity of SIHA Somalia and Somaliland to effectively manage their portfolio of projects by adhering to SIHA project management systems and utilizing SIHA tools and templates.
The consultant will support the senior staff to ensure effective reporting and communication between the country offices, the regional office, and the management structure. The consultant will support the staff to ensure they are fully aware of SIHA policies, procedures, and practices, including human resource policies, financial policies and procedures, and project management procedures and tools. The consultant will shadow the Projects and Advocacy Officer and the Somali Projects Coordinator in their work, providing guidance and support in the day-to-day operations and mentoring them in constructive and effective approaches to program and project management. The consultant will provide SIHA management with assessments of the country offices and their teams and identify areas in need of support. Where applicable, the consultant can develop and implement capacity-building training modules for staff when it is in line with the consultant’s expertise.
Specifically, the responsibilities of the consultant include:
- Policy Compliance and Capacity Development:
- Review and grasp SIHA policies in Somalia and Somaliland, procedures, tools, and systems to ensure comprehensive compliance throughout SIHA operations.
- Participate in all regional and country-level meetings for the Somali region, providing necessary guidance and insights.
- Aid the staff in shaping SMART goals for bi-yearly appraisals, fostering a results-oriented approach.
- Foster the development of effective people management skills, equipping the team with tools to enhance staff motivation and performance.
- Provide monthly progress updates and assessments to SIHA management, scheduling meetings to determine priority areas and operational strategies collectively.
- Project & Financial Management:
- Establish a clear understanding of ongoing projects in Somalia and Somaliland, encompassing project objectives, budget allocation, reporting deadlines, and donor guidelines.
- Support the Somali Region Staff in executing project activities effectively and punctually, ensuring adherence to high standards.
- Collaborate closely with the Regional and Somali Projects Staff to formulate project and activity work plans, including support in crafting the Annual work plan and budget for 2024.
- Strengthen documentation, monitoring, and reporting capabilities, capturing and sharing essential information.
- Enhance financial management skills, ensuring a thorough understanding of SIHA policies and procedures.
- Any other relevant tasks that may emerge as necessary during this contract.
Required Skill and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong programme management and capacity-building experience.
- Experience working with international and local organizations.
- Significant prior experience working in advocacy on humanitarian issues, women’s rights, refugee rights, human rights, and/or development issues.
- Experience in influencing and advocacy work, including lobbying, policy development, and information provision on women’s issues.
- Extensive knowledge of human rights and international humanitarian law.
- Experience living and working in Somalia will be an added advantage.
Learn more about SIHA’s work here: https://sihanet.org/
Interested Candidates are asked to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, including three professional references, to SIHA’s Human Resources Department firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24, 2023. Please enter “Application Materials: Technical Program Advisor Consultant – Somalia” in the subject line. SIHA may, because of the immediate need of recruitment, contact shortlisted candidates before 24th September 2023. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please note that SIHA will contact only shortlisted candidates. We thank you for your interest in joining SIHA!
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com