CONSULTANT POSITION: CAPACITY BUILDING ADVISOR
LOCATION: WAU, SOUTH SUDAN
DURATION: INITIAL THREE MONTHS PROBATIONARY CONTRACT, RENEWABLE FOR AN ADDITIONAL THREE MONTHS BASED ON PERFORMANCE
HOURS OF WORK: 40 HOURS / WEEK
REPORTS TO: REGIONAL PROGRAMME COORDINATOR
I. SIHA BACKGROUND
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women’s groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of Africa countries. SIHA advocates for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn region and works specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights,peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political participation and the production and dissemination of knowledge.
More information about SIHA is available at www.sihanet.org.
Equality, Solidarity, Ethical, Diligence, Transparency, Humility, Resilience, Critical- thinking , Discipline, Courageous , Integral , Empathy , Collectiveness , Determination, Rationality , Diversity, Innovation, Democracy, Learning , Self-critical
II. JOB SUMMARY
The SIHA Capacity Building Advisor (CBA) will be based in SIHA’s Wau office supporting and advising the SIHA South Sudan team on aspects of programme management, coordination and implementation. The CBA will work to strengthen SIHA South Sudan team in areas of project management, including but not limited to office management, project planning, project monitoring and evaluation, financial management and budgeting, documentation and reporting. The CBA will also be required to support and build the capacity of the South Sudan team to lead in advocacy and research and build partnerships with other relevant CSOs. The CBA will be responsible for ensuring quality project outcomes and reporting, but most importantly, the CBA will work to develop operational systems within the office to enable the South Sudan team to manage operations successfully following the tenure of the CBA. The CBA will work remotely with the Regional Programme Coordinator and Regional Projects Officer based in Kampala.
III. MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
SIHA is open to equality and inclusiveness in employment
- To build the capacity of SIHA South Sudan team and management in overall project management and implementation, financial management, and office management;
- To assess and report on the current operational structure, human resources and capacity of the South Sudan office and make recommendations based on findings;
- To ensure quality project implementation, outputs and outcomes;
- To ensure compliance with all donor financial and reporting requirements;
- To build the monitoring and evaluation capacity of SIHA South Sudan team and support the development of monitoring plans;
- To support in the development and implementation of internal office management systems that ensure compliance with SIHA policies and procedures;
- To build the reporting and documentation capacities of SIHA South Sudan team and ensure quality and timely reporting of all activities and projects;
- To facilitate SIHA South Sudan program work and coordinate ongoing activities while ensuring quality and effective delivery;
- To support SIHA operational staff and suggest opportunities to SIHA management for staff capacity building and skills development
- To support in the development of policy papers , statements and briefing that would need to be produced by SIHA out of South Sudan office;
- Assist when called upon to participate in trainings / forums to put together a strategy if needed;
- Perform any additional work related tasks assigned.
The candidate for this position should have strong knowledge and understanding of the Horn of Africa sub region and South Sudan. A commitment to women’s human rights and the principles of gender equality and strong interest in social movements is essential, with proven track-record on right- based programming being a precondition for shortlisting. SIHA will be interested in individual applicants with commitment to indigenous civil society organizations and the challenges that accompany the work of civil society and their indispensable role in promoting the improvement of conditions for communities in South Sudan. More important, the candidate for this post should be open and comfortable and empathetic and able to work in a diverse work environment and with women and men of different cultural back grounds.
- KEY REQUIREMENTS
Strong combination of studies and work experience in the fields of human rights, and social development in the African context, East and Horn of Africa and/or/Middle East & North Africa;
- Strong academic background, with Masters-level education is preferable or equivalent work experience;
- Have at least 5 years of work experience in a management position in the field of social development, and /or human rights preferably within civil society, human rights NGOs or donor organizations, with preference being focused work in social development and /or the human rights field and similar sectors;
- Have proven experience and understanding of project cycle management, including monitoring and evaluation, results-based management, technical and financial reporting;
- Proven leadership and mentoring abilities;
- Flexibility and ability to shift priorities based on changes of context and ability to shift priorities within short notice;
- Good understanding of South Sudan political and social context, and knowledge of the regional and international mechanisms/dynamics influencing the region;
- Understanding of the risks associated with civil society work in South Sudan;
- Strong writing skills – fluency in written and spoken English is a prerequisite, with knowledge of other regional languages an added value;
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage priorities, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Previous exposure to international and/or multicultural /multilingual environment – Able to function effectively within a multi-cultural team;
- Strong sense of initiative and creativity is desirable;
- Strong analytical and research skills are important for this post
- Curiosity, willingness to ‘learn while doing’ and a strong and genuine interest in the Horn of Africa, particularly in Horn women and girls and their strengths and challenges, is essential.
Interested Candidates are asked to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, to SIHA’s Human Resources Department email@example.com before 25th of August 2019. Please enter “Application Materials: South Sudan Capacity Building Advisor”. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please note that SIHA will contact only shortlisted candidates. We thank you for your interest in joining SIHA.