Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Initial 3 months (Renewable)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Advocacy and Communications Officer (RACO)
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women’s groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of Africa countries. SIHA advocates for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn region and works specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights, peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political participation and the production and dissemination of knowledge. More information about SIHA is available at www.sihanet.org.
SIHA is looking for a savvy Communications Assistant to come aboard our organization for a dynamic employment opportunity. The Communications Assistant will ensure effective implementation of SIHA’s communication and advocacy strategy, media relations and organizational outreach efforts. Central to this function will be the provision of communications support to Advocacy and Communications Division and curation of SIHA’s social media interaction across a multitude of platforms under the direct supervision of the Regional Advocacy and Communications Officer.
If you’ve got your finger on the pulse of communications trends, social media, research and/or advocacy, you’re exactly what we’re looking for.
Duties & Responsibilities:
the SIHA Network Communications and Advocacy Working Group in the following
- Assist with the preparation and production of communication materials, including fast facts brochures, newsletters and publications;
- Update SIHA Network social media on a regular basis with relevant material, highlighting key events and achievements;
- Assist in conducting any campaigns and events that the SIHA Network Communications and Advocacy division undertake;
- Provide support in developing press and public statements capturing key messages of SIHA Network’s work;
- Contribute towards the development of new vectors of communication to support the Communications and Advocacy division;
- Assist in planning and implementing new initiatives from the division;
- Assist in writing press releases and feature articles related to activities/events;
- Assist the RACO with any other duties as may be assigned;
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong combination of studies and work experience in the fields of women, human rights and development in the African context, East and Horn of Africa;
- Have at least 2 to 4 years of work experience in the field of gender and/or development cooperation preferably within civil society, human rights NGOs or donor organizations, with preference being focused work in the human rights field and similar sectors;
- University degree in the field of social studies and gender, public relations communications, journalism or equivalent;
- Strong knowledge of digital tools and social media;
- Proven experience and interest in the field of advocacy and communication, especially new media;
- Strong editing and revising skills;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is a mandatory;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Proactive and practical-minded
- Team Player
- Excellent writing skills
- Quick learner
- Good computer skills
Interested Candidates are asked to provide their current CV and Cover Letter, expressing her/his motivation in applying and relevant experience/expertise, to SIHA’s Human Resources Department email@example.com before 29th of March 2019. Please enter “Application Materials: Communications Assistant”. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please note that SIHA will contact only shortlisted candidates. We thank you for your interest in joining SIHA!
SIHA is open to equality and inclusiveness in employment. We are committed to values and principles of democracy.