SIHA is a network that comprises of about 80 member organizations spread across the Horn of Africa Region; Somalia and Somaliland, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda.
- Non-governmental, non-partisan, organizations that have gender equality integrated policy, and work in the Horn of Africa region are eligible to apply for membership.
- Non-governmental, non-partisan, organizations that have gender equality integrated policy from other regions in Africa can work with SIHA upon signing memorandums of understanding or other agreements.
- Non-governmental, non-partisan umbrella organizations applying to join the network must have:
- At least two years experience working on women’s rights issues
- Transparent governance structure including rotation of leadership
“Umbrella” organization is defined as a group of organizations who have a common goal and at least five member organizations
- An organization whose membership is at least 50% women
- Fair gender representation in the organization management level
- Gender equality mandate and policies
- The organization’s strategy, programs and monitoring and evaluation tools should be guided and based on gender equality principles
- The organization should have a clear stand and programs pro women’s human rights as stated in international and regional mechanisms of relevance to the Horn of Africa region
- Legal Status
- Office structure
- Strategic Plan
- Applicant organization’s membership and governing structure must discuss and approve the vision, mission, strategies, code of conduct, and structure of the SIHA network.
- Letter of recommendation from SIHA Member within the country is required.
- Documentation (with emphasis on audit and annual reports) of organizations seeking membership will be submitted to be reviewed by the Secretariat.
- Approval of membership will be decided by consensus of the SIHA Board of Directors.
- If accepted as a member of SIHA Network, the organization agrees to implement all strategies of the SIHA Network and to submit every three months a written update on all actions and strategies, using the supplied format. Implementation and reporting begin immediately upon membership approval.
All member organizations will pay a membership fee of 150$ and an annual subscription of 100$. New members will pay immediately following approval. Details on how to transfer the money to SIHA can be arranged with the SIHA accountant upon approval of membership.