|Duration:||One Year with the possibility of an extension|
|Location:||Regional Office (Kampala, Uganda)|
|Working hours:||Full-Time (40 Hours/Week)|
|Reporting lines:||Staff will report to the SIHA Regional Programme Manager|
SIHA is a feminist regional network of civil society organizations spanning Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Uganda, with its Secretariat based in Kampala. SIHA’s mission revolves around promoting women’s access to justice in the Horn of Africa, challenging practices that perpetuate violence against women, empowering women leaders and activists, supporting those in conflict zones, advocating for the elimination of gender-based violence, and safeguarding the rights of women in vulnerable situations like internally displaced persons and migrants. As a feminist institution, SIHA is dedicated to advancing women’s control over their bodies and their fundamental rights, including access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services (SRHS). SIHA serves as a regional platform for gender equality and women’s rights, employing collective and coordinated approaches to effect social change across the Horn of Africa.
Overview of the Role:
SIHA’s grant opportunities are accessible to SIHA members and affiliates throughout the Greater Horn of Africa (GHoA) region. These grants are available to various entities, including women’s rights organizations, civil society groups, grassroots organizations, cooperatives, associations, and women’s and girls’ associations, collectively referred to as ‘sub-grantees.’ SIHA operates as a facilitating partner, supporting sub-grantees to enhance their work, expand their influence, build their capabilities, and respond to gender-based violence and discrimination crises rather than a traditional donor. SIHA seeks a Sub-Grants Officer to provide vital support in grant implementation, reporting, and capacity building for grassroots organizations. The Grants Officer will collaborate with the Program and Finance Teams across SIHA countries of operation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Subgrant Officer will manage a portfolio of grants and support grant holders to ensure the delivery of quality projects on time and within budget. Key responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the Programs Team to ensure transparent and effective grants management processes.
- Review grant applications and manage a portfolio of grants in line with established procedures.
- Monitor project progress, budget adherence, and timeliness of grant holders’ reports.
- Evaluate narrative reports, provide feedback, and suggest improvements.
- Work closely with the Program and Finance Team to make funding decisions.
- Coordinate payments to and from grant holders.
- Develop report templates and maintain clear review criteria.
- Synthesize reports and draft documents for donors.
- Review and contribute to the strengthening of Grants Management systems and tools
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning:
- Collaborate with the MEL Officer to review project data, analyze progress, and capture learning.
- Conduct monitoring visits to grant holder institutions.
- Contribute to cross-program sharing and learning activities.
Support, Training, and Learning:
- Cultivate positive relationships with grant holders and stakeholders.
- Develop and update resources for subgrant partners.
- Deliver coaching sessions and workshops as needed.
- Address performance issues with grant holders.
- Assist in developing funding proposals.
- Contribute to strategic plans, policies, and position papers.
- Maintain effective administrative systems and ensure program information is accessible to all SIHA colleagues.
- Undertake additional tasks as needed based on experience.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline, such as International Development or Business Administration, Local Governance or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree level (preferred)
- Experience in budget and project management and Understanding of the project/grant management cycle.
- Understanding of the current Horn of Africa context, particularly in reference to challenges facing women and girls in terms of accessto justice, human security, upholding of human rights, and social and economic well-bein
- Knowledge of monitoring, evaluation, and learning approaches.
- Experience working with grassroots organizations, civil society women rights defenders, and women leaders is critical for this position and working in or work trips to conflict zones.
- Experience working on grant-making funds and financial reporting.
- Understanding current issues and challenges in grassroots movement and women and girls’ rights.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to meet deadlines, work on initiative, and consult where appropriate.
- Ability to analyze, synthesize, and communicate complex issues in a clear manner.
- Confidence in the capacity development of others and effective problem-solving skills.
SIHA is a feminist, movement-building network that works to promote the rights of women and girls across the Horn of Africa and beyond. Through all of its activities, SIHA is committed to promoting gender equality, justice and respecting human diversity.
It is therefore expected that the values of SIHA will be considered and upheld during the term of employment. The values SIHA works to uphold include a woman’s right to self- determination over her life and body; respect for religious diversity; respect for gender diversity, including the rights of the LGBTQ+ community; respect for religion and beliefs regardless of your personal belief and commitment to ending discrimination in all its forms.
NB: SIHA is committed to offer a fair remuneration based on qualifications and experience. Qualified females are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV and cover letter highlighting relevant experience and expertise to SIHA’s Human Resources Department at Human Resource email@example.com by September 24, 2023. Please include “Application Materials: SIHA Network: Grants Officer” in the subject line of your email.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org