Website The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA)
|Description of Assignment||Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) seeks a consultant to appropriately harmonize content and develop a holistic manual.|
|Project Name||Advancing Migrant Adolescent Girls 2023|
|Start Date||1st June 2023|
|Duration of Assignment||1 month|
A. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) is a civil society coalition bringing together grassroots women’s rights organisations from Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya and Uganda. It was established in 1995 by a collection of women’s rights activists, with the view of strengthening the capacity of women’s rights organisations in the Horn of Africa. SIHA aims to contribute to unlocking the massive potential of women’s rights movements in the horn of Africa, by improving the capacity of local organisations, and to build a strong network of grassroots civil society members that are able to interact and support one another in advocating for effective change. SIHA operates as a regional platform for the mobilisation of activists, vulnerable and marginalised groups of women, men, and girls to harness resources that include, but are not limited to knowledge and information, capacity building and financial support aimed at challenging the root causes of problems and challenges faced by women and girls in the Horn of Africa Region. More information about SIHA is available at www.sihanet.org
B. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Under the Advancing Girls Initiative, SIHA Network aims at empowering girls and young women engaged in mixed migration in Sudan, South Sudan, and Somaliland while protecting their right to live free from discrimination and violence. To achieve this objective, it is important that these vulnerable migrant adolescent girls and young women aged 12-22 years in each of the countries can confidently engage in collective action to advance their rights and gender equality.
SIHA Network, therefore, seeks a consultant to develop a toolkit to support girls mentorship program using existing adolescent-friendly toolkits including topics relevant to providing skills on both life and work. These skills include but are not limited to;
- Life skills
- Entrepreneurship (identification of business opportunities, understanding the market, customer relationships, business partnerships, marketing, etc.)
- Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights and Advocacy
- Financial Literacy
Following the development of a friendly adolescent mentorship toolkit, the consultant will develop 3 virtual training of trainers with 10 participants from Wau, Juba, and Hargeisa. These workshops will be aimed at ensuring that the 30 adolescent girls have the capacity to mentor their peers.
C. SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will be expected to;
- Conduct a desk review of existing manuals that will be shared by SIHA Regional
- Hold an informatory meeting with all country teams around the various manuals and their
- Consolidate relevant materials into one toolkit for an adolescent mentorship program
Training of Trainers
- Develop context-specific training materials and deliver 3 ToT training on the
The consultant will be expected to deliver the following;
- Inception report with a clear plan and timeline on how the assignment will be delivered
- Draft Toolkit to support adolescent mentorship program
- Final Toolkit
- Training plans to deliver the ToT
E. METHODOLOGY OR APPROACH
The general approach will be collaborative and participatory. The consultant will work closely with SIHA’s regional and in-country staff to review existing manuals, design a holistic manual, and to conduct a capacity-building workshop.
SIHA expects the consultant to finalize the literature review and develop the toolkit within 2 weeks. An additional 2 weeks will be used to finalize the manual, to plan, and to finalize the online workshop.
The budget range is 2500-3000 USD. The fund includes both the toolkit development and delivery of 3 virtual Training of Trainers.
- At least 7 years of experience in designing training manuals in any of the following fields; Gender and Development, Migration, and Economic Empowerment among others.
- MA in any of the relevant fields such as Gender Studies, African studies and Development, Conflict, Refugees and Migration among others.
- Clear understanding of the Greater Horn of Africa social, political, economic, and historical
- Excellent cross-cultural facilitation
- Excellent English writing
To apply, please send an Expression of Interest, relevant CVs, and 2 sample manuals designed on one of the relevant topics. Send all documents to SIHA at the following e-mail address: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com. by 26th May 2023.
In the e-mail subject line please write ‘APPLICATION: SIHA Advancing Migrant Girls Toolkit Development.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org