THE OBJECTIVES OF THE AWARD
The objectives of these awards are to:
1. Honor the extraordinary work of WHRDs in the promotion and protection of women’s rights in the Horn of Africa;
2. Profile the work of WHRDs and challenges they face as agents of social change and transformation;
Nomination: The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa develops a call for nominations which is then widely circulated by the WHRD’s coalition and partners. This call outlines the criteria for eligibility for nomination.
Shortlisting, Verification and Selection: SIHA Network will establish an in-country review and selection committee.
Award ceremony: An Award Ceremony will be held at Country level and an Online Webinar will be organized to profile the work of the Award winners. The webinar will be widely advertised to attract participation of CSO’s, representatives from the government, selected WHRDs from across the country, representatives from the international missions, and the media.
The following will be taken into consideration:
- Grassroots based Woman Human Rights Defender based in Ethiopia or Somalia;
- Proven resilience and support for women and girls including during the covid-19 pandemic;
- Has led initiatives and advocacy actions that significantly impact the lives of grassroots based women and girls;
- ‘Civil courage’ and demonstrated leadership, innovation and creativity in her women and human rights work;
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made;
- The Award Winner should have a link to the community and her work should have built or should be working towards building a grassroots women’s movement;
The winners will receive:
- A cash award of 600 Euros;
- A plaque with the WHRDs name on it
- And will be guests at the Online Country Webinar to profile their work
To nominate your WHRD of choice, please fill in the nomination form:
https://forms.gle/gyDiDHB7SqT994CbA and submit supporting documentation to SIHA via firstname.lastname@example.org with a clear subject line “SIHA WHRD AWARD NOMINATION – 2021” by 14th May 2021