Job title: Regional Program Officer SIHA Network
Closing date: 17th February, 2014
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: 1 year renewable contract including 3 months probation period
The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa –SIHA Network – is a coalition of civil society organizations from Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia and Somaliland. SIHA was founded in 1995 by a collection of women’s groups with the view of strengthening the capacities of women organizations in the Horn of Africa countries. SIHA advocates for social change and gender equality for men and women in the Horn region and works specifically on: gender equality, women rights activism, women economic empowerment, eliminating violence against women and girls, promoting human rights, peace building and conflict transformation, enhancing women’s leadership and political participation and the production and dissemination of knowledge.
The Regional Programs Officer is a senior post within SIHA Network; the candidate will be working very closely with the SIHA Regional Director, the program staff in the Sudan and South Sudan offices, the SIHA country coordinators in Ethiopia, Somalia and Somaliland as well as with the SIHA members. He/She will manage a portfolio of projects and related activities and contribute to further refine SIHA’s strategy and its effective implementation. The Regional Programs Officer has the responsibility to manage the SIHA projects, contribute to the development of its programs and fundraising activities, maintaining contact with stakeholders, including donors, members, partners and others.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- To facilitate and contribute to SIHA program development, implementation and general overview of all the projects.
- Coordinate the implementation of the regional SIHA projects including planning, contracting, monitoring, reporting and evaluation.
- To identify opportunities for fundraising and to suggest ideas for new programs and initiatives.
- To establish communication and collaborate with researchers, technical experts, knowledge institutes and grass roots experts.
- To contribute to all SIHA publications, reports, public statements and proposals
- Ensure, in close collaboration with the communication officer, effective co-ordination between the in-country coordinators and the secretariat in relation to information flow.
- To ensure the network’s sustainability by communicating effectively in collaboration with the communication officer with all SIHA members and to identify possible new members for SIHA.
- To contribute to the development of policy papers, statements and briefings required for SIHA advocacy.
- Planning, reporting and supervising the proper use of the budget allocated to the program.
The candidate for this position should have strong knowledge and understanding of the Horn of Africa sub region, specifically, Sudan, South Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia. A commitment to women rights and the principles of gender equality and interest in social movements is essential. SIHA will be interested in individual applicants with commitment to indigenous civil society organizations and their role.
- Strong combination of studies and work experience in the fields of women, human rights and development in the African context; east and Horn of Africa and/ or /Middle East & North Africa.
- Have at least 3 to 4 years of work experience in the field of gender and/or development cooperation preferably within civil society, human rights NGOs or donor organizations.
- Flexibility and ability to shift priorities based on changes of context
- Good understanding of the Horn of Africa sub regional context and knowledge of the regional and international mechanisms/dynamics influencing the region
- Have experience and understanding of project cycle management, including monitoring, technical and financial reporting.
- Strong writing skills – has proficiency in English both orally and in writing.
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage priorities, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Have the willingness to travel regularly often around the region.
- Previous exposure to international and/or multicultural /multilingual environment –Able to function effectively within a multi-cultural team.
- Strong sense of initiation and creativity is desirable.
- Ugandans and those having residence in Uganda are encouraged to apply.
SIHA is committed to offer a fair remuneration based on qualifications and experience
Please send your C.V, contact details for three professional references and application letter to: